Saturday, June 18, 2011

New TEEN Authors! New Books!


I just spent the last two days at the Southeast Wisconsin Festival of Books!! It was, in a word, wonderful! Two whole days of meeting authors, listening to how they great their great ideas, go through the writing process, from research to publishing. I am so inspired I don't know what I want to do first...start reading , or get out a notebook and write! I just wish all of my students that love to read and write could have been there too.

I actually met three teen authors that have published books. Markelle Garbo, author of The Elf Girl, is from New Berlin. She knew she wanted to be a writer when she was in fifth grade (sound familiar anyone?). She wrote Elf Girl when she was only 16. Now a senior in high school, she has already written several more books in the series and has plans for other books. I will definitely be reading her book this summer along with several others from the festival.

No comments: