Sunday, August 19, 2012

Love That Dog by Sharon Creech

I brought this book home with me for the summer.  It's been on my "to read" list forever as Sharon Creech is one of my favorite authors.  The book did not disappoint!  In no way do I consider myself a poet, yet while reading this book I had an incredible urge to write in verse!  Below is my attempt at writing the book review this way:

Jack didn't want to write poems
Poems are for girls.
But his teacher
Miss Stretchberry
Likes poetry.
She reads the class
Poems
Jack doesn't understand.
He tries.
He writes in his notebook
Words
Short sentences
His thoughts.
Miss Stretchberry thinks
Jack is a poet.
He'll let his teacher
Hang them up
But without his name.
Then Jack reads a poem
That is about to change his life.....

This book will be one of the mentor texts I use this year when we study poetry!



No comments: