Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The Crossover by Kwame Alexander

Just finished reading The Crossover by Kwame Alexander for our Mock Newbery Club.  What an incredible book!  Within pages I was completely pulled into this story of two brothers, their love of basketball, family and the challenges of growing up.  Of course, as with most verse novels, once I finished reading I felt the need to write my review in verse:



What is it about this book
That called to me
Pulled me to pick it up
Dared me to read its story
When I’m supposed to be grading
Yet another test?

There’s a basketball player
On the cover
Not my typical inspiration
But peek inside
See the verse?
The poet’s Josh Bell
(Filthy McNasty to friends and family)
He has a way with words
That can make basketball
Sound like ballet.

Josh and his twin, JB
Love basketball
It’s their life, their passion
Until Miss Sweet Tea
Steals a heart.
How does Josh feel
Angry? Jealous? Hurt?

What is it about this book
That captures your heart
Fills you with despair
Yet leaves you hopeful
For the strength of family
In the end
To conquer
All.




No comments: