Sunday, January 4, 2015

Under the Egg by Laura Marx Fitzgerald

Theodora Tenpenny is only thirteen years old, but since the untimely death of her grandfather she now has the responsibility of running the household, taking care of the chickens, tending the garden, dealing with an unruly neighbor, and taking care of her reclusive mother.  All this on a budget of less than $400, which is dwindling fast.  Theo has no idea what she’s going to do to save her family, that is until a freak accident reveals a hidden treasure.  Could it be a lost masterpiece?  Is this the “treasure” that her grandfather spoke of to her with his last dying breath?  Theo sets off on a mission to find out; only what she eventfully uncovers is so much more than she could have ever imagined.


This book started out as a mystery. What exactly is the treasure that Theo found?  Is it worth anything?  Can Theo use it to help save her home and family?  But then the story takes incredible twists and turns. All of a sudden I found myself plunged into the world of art history, World War II, the tragedy of the holocaust, and the fight for survival.  I wanted to write more in my review, but I do not want to ruin the suspense for those who read the book, and this is definitely a book that needs to be read!  I know I’ve written this before, but the sign of a good book is one that the reader feels compelled to discuss afterwards.  Under the Egg is just such a book.  Not only is this a book that begs to be discussed, but also readers, including myself, will not soon forget this story. 

No comments: