Sunday, October 8, 2017

The Player King

One of the reasons I enjoy reading historical fiction so much is that  it offers the opportunity to learn about different periods of time from the past, while still reading for pleasure.  So it was with great excitement that I learned about a new novel from one of my favorite authors, Avi.  The Player King, set to be released October 17, takes place in England in the late 1400s.  It's the story of how young Lambert Simnel, a simple kitchen boy, becomes entwined with noblemen who wish to overthrow the King.

Even though my knowledge of this time period is not extensive, I thoroughly enjoyed this book!  Lambert is a likeable character that does not let himself fall into the role of victim, despite having to deal with some not very reputable adults.  In fact for awhile he living the dream of many young boys of this time period.

Historical fiction is usually based on real life events with sometimes fictional characters.  However, as I read this novel I kept find myself asking, could this actually have happened?  Be sure to read the author's note at the end of the book - it’s a fascinating story!

No comments: