Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Found by Margaret Peterson Haddix


As a mother to three boys and a sixth grade teacher, I’m always on the look out for books that will appeal to the guys in my life.  So I was excited to learn that Margaret Peterson Haddix, author of the Hidden Children series would be visiting my area in October.  She’ll be on tour promoting the release of the sixth book in her Missing series.  As luck would have it, I already owned a copy of the first book in the series, Found.

Found is the story of three friends, Jonah (13), his sister Katherine (12), and their new neighbor, Chip (13).  From all outward appearances they seem to be normal happy, ordinary kids.  That is until the letters start to arrive.  Jonah has always known he was adopted, no big secret.  Then he receives a letter informing him he is “one of the missing” and to be careful, someone was coming for him.  What doe this mean?  He’s missing? From where?  Who’s coming to get him?  Then life becomes even stranger.  The FBI threatens his family. Strange people mysteriously appear and then disappear, or do they?  The only person that may have some answers is a woman named Angela DuPre.  But should the kids believe her? Her own family considers her crazy. Angela’s theories on physics and time travel sound like something out of a science fiction novel.  Then she disappears!  The kids need to find someone who knows what’s going on before it’s too late, or is it already?

I loved this book!  Margret Peterson Haddix has a unique writing style that leaves the reader in suspense at the end of each chapter.  You must keep reading, as it’s too difficult to put the book down. I’ll warn you now – Found is Book One in the Missing series. The book ends with a total cliff hanger, it kind of reminds me of a series TV show, you’re so shocked you just can’t stop thinking about it and will definitely be reaching for the next book in the series.

I plan to read Found to my classes as our first read aloud of the year.  I’m hoping to hook them on the series and build excitement for the new book due out in September and other books by the author. 

No comments: