Monday, July 22, 2013

Zebra Forest by Adina Rishe Gewirtz


Don’t be fooled by the cover of this book!  I’m embarrassed to say I almost put this book back on the shelf after discovering it at the library.  I hadn’t heard any buzz about the book and judging by the cover (yes, I’ll admit, covers do have the power to pull me in or push me away), the book was about zebras in a forest.  It just didn’t seem like a topic that would hold my interest for long.  Thankfully, I listened to that little inner voice that told me to give the book a chance, advice I so frequently give kids, to not judge a book by its cover.

This story begins quietly enough:  Anne and Rew are young siblings who are being raised by their grandmother in a small town.  Their mother abandoned them when they were little more than babies.  Their father was killed by an “angry man”.  This is all they know of their past.  Talking about the past is not something Gran does willingly or frequently.  Annie and Rew are fine with their simple life.  When not in school they occupy their time by helping Gran, reading (Gran doesn’t allow television in the house) books especially their all-time favorite, Treasure Island.  They also love to play and tell stories in the forest of oak and birch trees behind their house, lovingly nicknamed the zebra forest.  Their favorite stories center around adventures they imagine for the father they don’t remember. Then one night their world turns upside down!  An escapee from the nearby prison breaks into their home and holds them hostage.  Scared, the children are even more mystified at Gran's reaction.  Why won’t she come out of her bedroom?

This is must read book! While the plot was fairly simple, the emotions felt and expressed by the characters leave the reader in constant turmoil. It’s difficult, if not impossible, to decide which character to feel more empathy for.  One minute I was agreeing with the anger felt by Rew, the next minute I was feeling the confusion felt by Annie.  As a mother I could also empathize with Gran.  Honestly, the range of emotions felt while reading this book:  anger, confusion, fear, sadness, etc, left me feeling exhausted but wanting to know more.  There needs to a sequel, I was just not ready to say good-bye to anyone.  While this book is written for a middle grade audience, the emotions felt by the characters and the subject matter of the story make it a book that will be actively discussed at several grade levels.

No comments: