Sunday, July 6, 2014

Zane and the Hurricane by Rodman Philbrick


“My name is Zane Dupree.  I need to warn you right now, there’s some really gross stuff in this book, and I’m not talking about make-believe gross like plastic poop and vomit, but stuff so awful it made a dog hide his nose….”

Zane and the Hurricane.  This book was so good it terrified me. I thought I knew all about Hurricane Katrina and the devastation it had caused.  Like many others, I had watched the news reports and read the stories about the aftermath of the hurricane and flood.  But never could I have imagined the utter despair, fear and courage the survivors, those that remained in New Orleans, had to go through in their quest to find help.

Zane is a 12 year old from New Hampshire.  He and his dog, Bandit (or Bandy for short) were on vacation in New Orleans, meeting his deceased father’s grandmother for the first time.  Then Katrina hit.  Then the flood came. In Zane’s effort to survive he is helped by the kindness of strangers willing to share what little they had managed to save from the flood. Unfortunately Zane also witnesses the truly ugly side of human nature, actions brought about by fear, racism, and ignorance.

I cannot wait to share this book with my students.  Zane’s story will prompt many questions.  Questions that will not have easy answers, maybe no real answers.  But truly, aren’t those the best books? Books that make us question?  Books that make us think?  Books that make us decide that maybe it’s time we do something to make the world a better, more accepting, place for all.

Zane’s story will be with me for a long, long time. 

No comments: