Sunday, June 17, 2012

Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis

(From January 19, 2012)
What would you do if you were ten years old,  all alone in this world, and at the last foster home you were sent to, the grown-ups locked you in a hornet-infested shed at night?  That’s the decision facing Bud (“not Buddy”) at the beginning of this book.
I chose this book mainly because it’s one of the “Battle of the Books” books for this year.  But I had also been hearing from students that it was a good book and I noticed it had won a Newbery Award and a Coretta Scott King Award.  All good indications of a wonderful book.
I’m currently on page 180 and hope to finish it tonight.  On a scale of 1 to 5, I’d rate the book a 5 definitely!  The author does a great job of weaving history into the story and letting the reader know what life was really like during the Great Depression in the mid 1930′s.  The Jazz movement had taken hold of the country, the labor movement was born, and equal rights were still not a reality for many.  Even though it was the depression, the author still showed how everyday people went out of their way to help others.  I really liked those parts!

No comments: