Sunday, June 17, 2012

Savvy by Ingrid Law


(From January 9, 2012)
There are no other words to describe this book beside “captivating”!  After the shocking beginning, the story sucks you in and you’re off for a wild ride on the big pink Heartland Bible bus.  As I read the book I really did feel as if I was right there on the bus with Mibs, Fish, Samson, Will Jr., Bobbi, Lester and eventually Lill.   What kid hasn’t dreamed of running away (OK well they aren’t actually running away, but rather running to something) and going on a great adventure?!  And who better to take them on that adventure than Lester?  Good old, afraid of his shadow, Lester.  He was the perfect character to aid the kids in their quest to get to Salina.  I so hope this book becomes a movie someday, there’s something in it for the whole family to enjoy.  I went from laughing, to being scared, to relief, to crying.  Just when I though I knew what was going to happen, off went the bus in another direction!
I especially liked how the author helped us, the readers, to reflect on what we’ve atually learned though this story.  Mibs makes this realization in chapter 33:
“When something like that comes along, whether it’s an accident or a savvy or a very first kiss, life takes a turn and you can’t step back.  All you can do is keep moving forward and remember what you’ve learned.”   p.333

No comments: